SmartBackup accesses your Smartsheet data via a User API Token when running the Business Edition License or a sysAdmin API Token when running the Enterprise Edition license. The former requires you to generate and define a Token for each user making it only applicable for personal or small team use. This approach less than ideal for larger groups and hence a single sysadmin token is used for Enterprise Edition which can act on behalf of other account users.
A typical SmartBackup setup will include the following steps:
- 1.Starting the Console.exe and set your run mode (3 minutes)
- 2.Obtaining a Smartsheet User API Token (3 minutes)
- 3.Creating a Smartsheet Workspace that will become the Backup Vault (5 minutes)
- 4.Configure user to be backed-up using token (5 minutes)
- 5.Reviewing run time options (10 minutes)
- 1.Obtaining a Smartsheet sysAdmin Token (3 minutes)
- 2.Follow auto config process which will obtain all users and auto configure backup vaults (5 minutes)
- 3.Reviewing run time options (10 minutes)
Choose your run mode. For Starter or Business Edition it should always be
use sysAdminToken OFF. For Enterprise Edition it should always be
use sysAdminToken ON
- 1.Click on SETTINGS
- 2.Switch the use-sysadmin-Token ON or OFF
- 3.Always SAVE THE SETTINGS after modifying it
- 4.A Red DOT will either appear next to Tenants (sysadmin OFF) or Members (sysAdmin ON)
use sysAdmin ON requires you to be licensed for the Enterprise Edition
Configuration and setup for Starter and Business Edition exactly the same.
Setup requires the following configuration steps once-off for each User.
- 1.Configure the User as a Tenant within SmartBackup. Who needs backing up?
- 2.Configure a Backup Vault within Smartsheet for the User. Backup Target?
A Tenant is a person you manually define in order to run operations (backup, archive, export) for them. You need to obtain the User API Token for this person to get access to their Smartsheet data. Only those Tenants marked as Enabled will be processed.
- 1.Click on Tenants
- 2.Click on the edit pen to overwrite sample entry with your details
- 3.Entry must be marked as Enabled to be active
- 4.Complete with the User API Token and VaultID
- 1.Login to Smartsheet, click on Account usually bottom left
- 2.Select "Apps & Integrations", then "API Access", then click on "Generate Token"
- 3.API Token becomes your TenantToken in tenantfile, that way the backup knows who you are and therefore what files to backup
Follow steps in next section to create the Backup Vault which will provide you with the VaultID.
Once-off configure a Smartsheet Workspace that will act as the backup container. To do this:
- 2.Name the Workspace aptly, such as
- 3.Right-click on Vault Workspace and select Properties
- 4.Copy the Workspace ID to tenantfield VaultID, in so doing it becomes the designated Target Backup area
- 5.Copy the Workspace Link to tenantfield VaultLink
Visual cheat-sheet to complete details for each Tenant. Note this is not required for Enterprise Edition.
Enterprise Setup is largely automatic. Please follow the following steps once-off or when required.
- 1.Provision Users from Smartsheet, therefore all Licensed Users will become SmartBackup Members
- 2.Provision Backup Vaults for all Enabled Users
A Member is a person you want to run backup, archive, or export operations for. Unlike Tenants you only need a Smartsheet SysAdmin API Token to access all the Members data. Once-off or periodically, you can refresh the User list from Smartsheet to obtain the latest list of Smartsheet Users for your Organization. Only those Members marked as Enabled will be processed. Sysadmin Mode is an Enterprise License only function, which you can switch on/off in Settings - General.
- 1.Select Members, then paste the sysAdmin Token and SAVE
- 2.Click on “Refresh from Smartsheet”, after a short delay, and if the sysadmin token is correct then the
- 3.Data-table will reflect the current working user list from Smartsheet. A green message will display success.
A Backup Vault is the Workspace within Smartsheet designated as the target Backup area.
The standard name for a provisioned Backup Vault is
zz!~!-VAULT-do not delete!-:1234567890123456where number affix designate the unique Smartsheet ID assigned to each User, visible from Members screen. All versions prior to 6.0.1 still use the old naming convention
zz!~! SMARTBACKUP Vault do not delete!
- 1.Click on Settings then Backup
- 2.Click on “Create User Backup Vaults”, and a Vault will automatically be created for every "Enabled" Member. A green message will display success.
- 3.Optionally the button "Remove User Backup Vaults" will automatically remove the Vault for every "Enabled" Member. A green message will display success.