Comment on page
The Resources section provides valuable additional Resources in support of SmartBackup.
We've created a cheat sheet consisting of concise notes that can make your SmartBackup life more productive and effective.
Click to view or download the SmartBackup CHeatsheet.
Subjects covered are:
- 4.Planning Scenarios
- 6.Run Book
Feel free to download and modify the Evaluation sheet which is designed to help build the business case for deploying SmartBackup in your environment.
Backup Solution Evaluation.xlsx
Click on link to download the Excel Workbook.
Subjects covered are:
- 1.List of Requirements
- 2.Your Rating
Feel free to download and modify the sample Motivation Pack to help you capture, solidify and record the case for SmartBackup in your environment.
case for smartbackup.pptx
Click on link to download PowerPoint Pack.
Subjects covered are:
- 1.Business or Motivational Case
For Enterprise Customers who wants to record the case, pack can be handy to capture motivational reasoning.
We get it! You may not have time to read all the documentation, herewith some quick notes for Enterprise Users to get you going in no time.
Once you have installed SmartBackup, you will be able to launch the application and at first a “command” window will pop-up. This small window is referred to as the “console server” window. Please don’t close this, but keep it open in the background while using the SmartBackup Console. After a few seconds, the main SmartBackup Console window will open, and this is where you will do the configuration steps, and you can also run the Backups, Archives, and Exports from this console. If your organization uses a firewall or security device, you may need to configure that device to allow traffic to and from the following domains: deonpollard.pythonanywhere.com smartsheet.com api.smartsheet.com Once you get to this point, complete the following steps:
- 1.Login to Smartsheet and generate an API Token. You will need to have Admin rights to your Smartsheet deployment to generate a “sysadmin” API Token.
- 2.Be sure to copy and save this API Token in a safe place – and we recommend saving the token in Notepad or OneNote. Don’t use Excel.
- 3.Next, in the SmartBackup Console, click on the “Configuration” menu in the top right corner (three dots), and click “Settings”.
- 4.Click and expand the “General” tab, and make sure that the “Use sysadminToken” is “On”. Then click “Save the Settings!”
- 5.Next click on the “Members” option on the left menu to switch to the “Members” screen. This is where you will generate the list of all the Smartsheet Licensed users in your company.
- 6.Now copy and paste the sysadmin API Token that you generated in Smartsheet earlier into the sysAdminToken field, and then click “SAVE!”
- 7.You should receive a confirmation message that it was saved successfully.
- 8.Now click the “Refresh from Smartsheet” blue button. This will start the process of pulling the user details down from Smartsheet.
- 9.After a short while the list of usernames will appear below in the window.
- 10.Next, click on the “Settings” link to go back to the settings screen.
- 11.Now click and expand the “Backup” section, and in the “Automated Backup Vault Configuration” section, click on the “Create User Backup Vaults” green button.
- 12.This will automatically create a backup vault workspace in each user’s Smartsheet account with the special name as shown in the description.
At this point you should be good to go.
- Now you can click on the “Backups” option in the left menu and click “Run Now!” and the app will create backups of all sheets that have changed in the last 5 days (this is the default, which you can change), for all users, and will save those backup copies in each user’s “vault” workspace.
- You can also run an Archive, but because there will be nothing to archive yet, it will not make any copies.
- You can run the Export, and you can choose to Export All, Export the Outline only, export specific sheets (if configured), or Export Incremental. The incremental option will export copies of each user’s sheets that have changed in the last 5 days by default.
Once you have all of this tested and working, you can use the Windows Task Scheduler to setup automatic Backups, archives, and exports to run on a schedule. You can find more details on how to do that here.